Thursday, August 19, 2021

Meet BWAC Artist: Sandra Forrest

I met Sandy through the BWAC Makers Market. She plays a pivotal role in keeping things humming at the shop that offers a wide variety of artwork and crafts made by members. Sandy's ceramics and mosaics are included in the inventory. I am a new member of BWAC and I am continually impressed with the range of opportunities BWAC offers its members but equally impressed with the folks who step up and play a major role in keeping this ship sailing. Sandy is one of those folks.

Meet Sandra Forrest




                  Lady With a Fan, After Kilimt, ceramic and glass, 24" x 24"


1. Why do I make art? 


Because it makes me happy. Nothing complicated.


2. What tools/materials do you find essential in your studio?


I work with glass primarily so I have to keep the glass organized by color, opacity, and transparency in bins and mason jars. Tools are cutters, a lightbox, and glass grinder. For my ceramics the tools are the usual clay-working tools plus an X-Acto knife, grout in several colors, and a kiln.


3. Where do you find inspiration?


I am continually inspired by the nature woodcut prints of the Arts & Crafts era. Lately I've been inspired by the fabric patterns and designs of Matisse's Odalisques and Klimt.


4. How long have you been a member of BWAC and what has been the greatest benefit?


I've been a BWAC member for 9 years or so. I love the contact with other artists and the feeling of being in a community of artists. Also, I've just been learning how

to curate a show and what goes into that process. Big learning curve.




                      Box, ceramic,  5" x 5"


Please visit her website to see more of her work. sandraforrestmosaicartist.com


No comments:

Post a Comment