Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Meet Audrey Anastasi: BWAC Artist



I have a story about how I met Audrey. Soon after I moved to Brooklyn two years ago, I met one of my neighbors because I was admiring her dog. Marie was very friendly, the dog too, and we got to chatting. I told her I was an artist and she said her best friend was an artist. Marie took me to meet Audrey in her studio/gallery in Sunset Park. As a collage artist, I have been particularly interested in her work. You never know where a casual conversation will take you.


I didn't realize Audrey was a member of BWAC until I saw her and her friend Marie at the opening of the Coney Show. Audrey has numerous pieces in that show. Check out the first blog post about the Coney Opening and be sure to get down before it closes.


I also learned doing this interview that Audrey was president of BWAC for a number of years. Read on to learn more.


My questions for Audrey:


1. Why do you make art?


I think creating images is an inherent part of my DNA.  It has never been a conscious choice. I cannot NOT make art.


2. What tools/materials do you find essential in your studio?


I have paint covered pliers that I use to loosen/open tubes of paint. Other than the pliers, anything can become a tool or material. Besides traditional art supplies, I’ve applied paint with sticks, combs, credit cards, utilized found objects, magazines, nail polish, old makeup, etc.  


3. Where do you find inspiration?


I don’t seek or wait for inspiration. The process of working generates the next creative breakthrough. 


4. How long have you been a member of BWAC and what has been the greatest benefit?


I was a member of BWAC for a number of years, serving as president from approximately 1999- 2004.  Here is some history of my tenure as president. 

BWAC had been exhibiting in Brooklyn Bridge Park and the current Red Hook warehouse, but there was not an ongoing understanding until Joseph and I met w Greg O'Connell. Once Greg made the generous commitment to allow BWAC to use the space going forward,  BWAC then had a permanent address.  No longer a “pop up” entity, we built the welcome desk, storeroom, donation box, etc. More importantly, we were able to install permanent electricity and lighting fixtures, instead of temporary hookups each year. These improvements, plus hiring a staff person, helped us to double the membership at the time, become more solvent as an organization, and facilitate a significant increase in transacting art sales.  

I continue to feel that BWAC provides an unparalleled opportunity to exhibit work of your own choosing, of significant size, and present these works directly to the viewing public. 



5. Please include one image of work you think best represents your creative vision. Why?






From a psychological vantage,  this work, Futility of Expectation, expresses an angst that I feel is at the heart of my practice.  From an objective perspective, it is a pivotal bridge between direct-from-life, strictly observational, non-dominant left-handed oil painting, and free-form, abstracted collage process.  I am most engaged when fully immersed in representing the human subject, especially women, and reaching deep to bring out emotional connections.



Links to Audrey's websites and social media.


http://www.instagram.com/audreyanastasi_art

http://www.AudreyAnastasi.com

https://m.facebook.com/audrey.anastasi.7

https://valentinemuseumofart.com/audrey-frank-anastasi.html

https://twitter.com/audfa

link to collage catalog book:

https://www.amazon.com/Collage-Portfolio-Anastasi-introduction-Giancarlo/dp/1070424013/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=audrey+anastasi+collage+book&qid=1614118350&s=books&sr=1-2#reader_1070424013


No comments:

Post a Comment