Monday, April 4, 2022

Meet BWAC Artist: Renee Radenberg

 

Globe,cast glass, 7"x7"x7"

I met Renee through the Makers Mart, instantly intrigued by her creations in glass. I am not well versed in the techniques used to work with glass and to me it's just magic. I have enjoyed following her work and getting an idea of the very wide range of objects she creates.

 

1. Why do you make art? 

I create so people can experience the wonderment of glass. Glass has a wonder-ful physical property - transparent or opaque - allowing you to see the illusion of space and depth, the constant play of positive and negative spaces.  This causes a magical flow within the glass, embodying fun, playfulness, and the spiritual energy of nature. This can be healing - by holding you in the present moment to enjoy that magic, be enthralled and charmed so you forget the world’s challenges. 

2. What tools/materials do you find essential in your studio?

As a glass artist I need a lot of equipment and materials to create the different techniques of fused glass. The most important piece of equipment is the Kiln (I have 2 kilns) where the ‘magic’ happens. Then there are equipment needed to grind the glass, such as wet saw, lap grinder, wet belt sander, ring saw, and a sand-blaster.
Of course glass is the number one material. Glass has numerous colors that comes in sheets, glass powders, crushed glass (called Frit), glass ‘stringers’ (looks like spaghetti), and billets (large thick ‘bricks’ of glass used to cast glass).  



 2B. I know you work with glass, that is the work I am familiar with but has that always been the case? Did you start making art working with glass or end up there?
 

I have always been an artist, having first discovered this passion at an early age.  I worked with many different mediums – oils, ink, acrylics – but for the past 20 years, almost exclusively in glass.  I learned about design, space, color and light at Parsons School of Design in NY. Ten years ago I embarked on the journey to learn about fused glass, prior to that I assembled my artwork with found and scrap stain glass.  Presently, I use fused and cast glass as the main component with the occasional use of wood and metal within the art pieces. 

3. Where do you find inspiration? 

My source of inspiration is nature and my art pieces are as abstract as nature can be. I love glass as a natural medium and it originates from natural surroundings. I reside in Rockaway Park (2 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean) where living in an artist community and by the beach has also strongly influenced and inspired my work. 

4. How long have you been a member of BWAC?

Since 2004 and what has been the greatest benefit --is to have the opportunity to display my artwork and interact with other artists and the public.
How long have you been on the Board of Directors? I am not on the BWAC Board, however, I am a non-title advisor due to my experience  serving on the Rockaway Artists Alliance Board for 10+ years. 

5. Ask yourself the question you wish I had asked about your work/life/art.

Increasing public awareness of glass artists is an important mission of mine. I have curated "Glass and Water", "Glass and Water II" art shows at Rockaway Artist Alliance, "Glass and Fiber" and “Togetherness and Oneness” at Williamsburg Art & Historical Center, and “Transparent as Glass?” at BWAC.
I also love to curate art shows as named above, plus was the main Curator for Rockaway Artists Alliance art shows (Curator for approximately 30+ art shows) for 9 years. 

                                                Title: Memories-Doll Box
                            Medium: Draped fused glass and an old doll box
                                                Size: H10” x W14” x D10”

6. Please include one image of work you think best represents your creative vision. Why? 

 
Over the years I have been studying multiple techniques of fused glass under renowned glass artists so it is difficult to pick one art piece that represents my vision. I am selecting Memories – Doll Box due to complex method of draping fused glass and it won the Anna Hyatt Huntington Bronze Metal for Sculpture at Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club 2021

Say hello when you see Renee at BWAC and learn more about her work on her website. Stay updated with her social media.

Website: bellescreation.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/renee.rad1
IG: https://www.instagram.com/reneerad/
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/reneeradenberg/
 



No comments:

Post a Comment